Inglewood, CA- Three Inglewood residents, including two young children, almost lost their lives because of a faulty, carbon monoxide-emitting wall heater after two women died in unincorporated Willowbrook while using a gas oven to try to stay warm, authorities said today.
On Sunday, three Inglewood residents, including the children, became lethargic and began to lose consciousness because of a faulty wall heater, the county fire department reported.
The Gas Company told firefighters the heater had been found to be faulty and the apartment owner had been told to fix it.
In Willowbrook, two women, 81 and 63, were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide on New Year’s Day while trying to stay warm with their gas oven.
“With windows locked and the oven set on high heat with the door open, they received a concentrated exposure to carbon monoxide, which sadly turned out to be fatal. Our firefighters tried to resuscitate them, but it was too late,” said County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman.
“We urge all residents to never use their ovens, range or portable outdoor barbecue to heat their homes because these appliances are not designed for this purpose,” Freeman said.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Gas appliances can produce carbon monoxide if they have been improperly maintained. Freeman recommended installing certified Carbon Monoxide alarms.