El Paso, TX – A Northeast El Paso couple were taken to a hospital early Saturday in serious condition after their home filled with carbon monoxide, fire officials said. It was the second such case in two days.

Firefighters dispatched to the home in the 4700 block of Chisos found a 36-year-old woman and a 37-year-old man with symptoms of carbon monoxide


Both were taken to Providence Memorial Hospital in serious condition and were undergoing treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, which provides oxygen

therapy, said Lt. Mario Hernandez, spokes man for the El Paso Fire Department.

Fire investigators determined that dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide in the couple’s home were being emitted from an old wall heater and a faulty water heater. The couple apparently were also using a burners on a kitchen stove to heat the home, Hernandez said.

“The doctor (treating the couple) at Providence was telling one of the firefighters that this is the fifth patient he’s seen with carbon monoxide

poisoning” this year, Hernandez said.

Hernandez said the incident Saturday was the 16th carbon monoxide call since Nov. 1.

On Friday, two teenagers and a 2-year-old boy in the 3000 block of Sacramento in Central El Paso fell ill to carbon monoxide poisoning while using a barbecue grill to heat their home. They have recovered.

Hernandez urged El Pasoans to use caution when using any kind of heating equipment, especially since temperatures in the area this week have fallen below freezing.

“People need to be careful, or unfortunately they’ll end up like this couple,” Hernandez said.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include fatigue, weakness, headaches, dizziness and nausea.

Residents are advised to have heating equipment and other appliances checked by a service professional to make sure carbon monoxide gas isn’t leaking into the environment. Residents can also protect themselves by installing carbon monoxide detectors in their home.