Redlands, CA- Carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty apartment heater sent a 35-year-old woman to the hospital Monday morning.
Redlands Firefighters and Paramedics responded about 10:15 a.m. to reports of carbon monoxide poisoning at a four-unit apartment building in the 400 block of Cajon Street, according to a press release issued by city spokesman Carl Baker.
The faulty wall heater was blamed for a build-up of carbon monoxide gas in the woman’s apartment. Paramedics took the woman to Redlands Community Hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.
The woman’s condition is unknown, according to Baker’s press release. Another resident was evacuated from a different apartment. No one was home at the remaining two apartment units.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can overtake residents in their sleep. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). High levels of carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness and death.
More than 400 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning, according to the CDC. Fatality is highest among Americans 65 and older.
The CDC recommends having your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year and installing a battery-operated CO detector in your home and checking or replacing the batteries twice a year.
More information is available on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm.