Kearney, NE- Two young lives were nearly cut short earlier this month when deadly fumes invaded a couple’s home.

Kieran Muir, 19, and Steph Winfield, 18, both of Kearney, now plead that people have carbon monoxide detectors in their home, have their furnaces regularly inspected and have a clean furnace filter.

On Nov. 4, 1-year-old Keira Muir spent the night at her grandparents’ home. When Tina Muir took her granddaughter back home the following morning and opened the door to her son’s rented modular home, she was hit with natural gas fumes.

“I’m glad I went over there when I did,” Tina said.