Columbus, OH – Columbus Police say carbon monoxide killed a 27-year-old man and his two-year-old son Friday in a southeast side apartment duplex that had lost power because of this week’s winter storm.

Detective James McCoskey said a portable generator was running in the basement of the apartment where Hector Garcia and his son, Adrian, were found.

The generator was powering a small electric heater in the apartment, but the unit was not vented properly.

Police say the boy’s mother is hospitalized, but she’s expected to live.

Two neighbors in an adjoining apartment became ill from the carbon monoxide and called 911.

Ohio State University emergency room Doctor Thomas Gavin said he treated more than 20 people who became ill Friday from carbon monoxide after placing generators in basements or garages.