Pamelia, NY-News 10 Now Staff – A North Country man is dead after an accident with a gas fireplace. It happened in the town of Pamelia.

A repair man working at a home on Perch Lake Road was found in a basement family room. He is believed to have bled to death this afternoon after a build up of gas exploded in the home.

The repairman was trying to light the fireplace when the explosion happened. The glass doors on the unit shattered, cutting the man with flying glass. He was the only person in the home at the time of the accident.

“It was pretty evident that that’s what had to have occurred. By simply looking at the scene, the shards of glass that had exploded from the glass doors of the fire place,” said Richard LaDue, Senior Investigator Watertown State Police.

The medical examiner is working to identify the victim.