Laurinburg, NC – A member of a Laurinburg family was treated Sunday for carbon monoxide poisoning after kerosene heaters were used to warm a Gill Street home, the American Red Cross said today.

Carol Ann Lentz, disaster program manger for Moore, Richmond, Robeson and Scotland counties, said a family of six adults and one child were evacuated from the home and assisted with temporary housing after Laurinburg firefighters responded Sunday. The family member treated for poisoning made a full recovery, she said.

The family was expected to return today, Lentz said, “with plans for buying electric heaters.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills 480 people each year and sends another 15,200 people to emergency rooms for treatment, according to the organization. Two hundred of those deaths are caused by using fuel-burning appliances in the home, including furnaces and space heaters.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, sleepiness and confusion.

“If you suspect poisoning, get to fresh air immediately and call 911,” Lentz said.