Sayville, NY- At approximately 1:30 a.m. on Monday, a family on Holly Drive West was awakened by their smoke detector. Sayville volunteer firefighters were dispatched to the scene and determined that there had been an oil burner puffback.

The responding firefighters took readings of the air quality in the home, which turned out to have high levels of carbon monoxide. Also, family members were exhibiting some symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure. Two adults and one child were transported by Community Ambulance to Southside Hospital.

“Carbon monoxide is the silent killer,” said Wendy Liu, public information officer for the Sayville Fire Department. “Because it is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas, carbon monoxide can kill you before you are aware that it is at a dangerous level in your home. The Sayville Fire Department would like to remind residents of the importance of having working carbon monoxide detectors.”