Morrisdale, PA – Members of the Mike Tocimak family were taken to Clearfield Hospital yesterday morning after they were overcome with carbon monoxide fumes at their home at 771 Troy-Hawk Run Highway.

According to Fred Edwards Jr., chief, Morris Township Fire Co., the homeowner and three family members were in the home when they were called out at 10:58 a.m.

Moshannon Valley Emergency Medical Services of Philipsburg responded along with the fire company and was advised en route they had four patients with symptoms. They called for additional resources to assist them at the scene. Assistance came from Mountain Top Fire Co. EMS of Sandy Ridge, Osceola Mills station and Clearfield EMS.

Edwards said firefighters entered the home and took a reading with a gas meter, which showed at least 500 parts per million. Edwards reported it could be even higher than that.

Firefighters ventilated the home and had Reliance Fire Co. of Philipsburg respond with an aerial truck to check the flue for possible blockage.

The cause was then discovered to be a malfunctioning furnace and firefighters were able to get a secondary heat source, an oil furnace, up and running for the family. That furnace was also checked and was running properly.

Edwards said the family members were all treated and released from Clearfield Hospital.

Approximately 20 firefighters were on scene for about two hours.

There was not a carbon monoxide detector in the home.