Auburn, MI – ClickOnDetroit – A family in Auburn Hills learned about the dangers of carbon monoxide the hard way.

The family says they were not feeling well, experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Stephanie Potter thought her headaches were stress-related, but when her boyfriend and their three children began to feel sick as well, they went to the hospital, Local 4 reported.

Firefighters say the level of monoxide in the home reached 162 parts per million, enough to kill.

The family is being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.