Hermon, NY – The aftermath of the ice storm came close to claiming the lives of a couple and their infant daughter.

State police said the family suffered carbon monoxide poisoning overnight after being overcome by fumes from a generator.

Emergency crews were called to 547 Jonesville Road in the town of Hermon at 12:25 a.m. Monday.

Officials said 32 year old Douglas Harris was running a generator in a back bedroom because his home had no electricity from the ice storm.

Harris told police he had forgotten the generator had been running for two hours so he went to check on it.

Police said when Harris didn’t come back from the bedroom, his girlfriend, 33 year old Anastassia Dehart, went to a neighbor’s house for help.

When she and the neighbor returned, they found Harris unconscious in the bedroom.

The neighbor dragged Harris out of the home and revived him.

Rescue crews and the Richville Fire Department were called to the scene.

State police said when they arrived, emergency crews were working to revive Harris and Dehart’s 8 month old daughter, Samantha Harris, who was unresponsive.

All three were taken to EJ Noble Hospital in Gouverneur for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

They were treated and released.

Officials say anyone using a generator, kerosene heater or a similar device should make sure there’s a source of fresh air for ventilation.