Harrison, OH – A mother and her three children are in the hospital right now suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters and paramedics rushed to the Harrison Township home around 1:30 a.m. and found the woman passed out just inside the front door. The children, who range in age from 6 to 18, had to be wakened from their sleep.

Battalion Chief Darrison Wiseman said, “The guys got here with a reading of 50 parts per million, which can be deadly.”

The four victims were taken to a local hospital, where they were treated and released.

Fire officials said it appears that the furnace malfunctioned causing the carbon monoxide leak.

Firefighters recommend that homeowners have a carbon monoxide detector in their homes.