Eureka, CA- Eureka Times -A family of eight was pulled from their home Thursday morning when Eureka Fire Department personnel discovered furnace exhaust was causing high levels of carbon monoxide.

The Eureka Fire Department said firefighters responded to a home on the 2400 block of B Street around 10:45 a.m. for a report of a 13-year-old girl who was disoriented and dizzy.

When firefighters began to treat the girl some of them started to get headaches.

While talking to other residents the firefighters learned that some of the gas appliances in the home were not working correctly.

The firefighters and the eight family members went outside and were treated with high-flow oxygen and fresh air.

A Pacific Gas and Electric Co. crew was called in and found that along with the furnace being dirty it also had improperly installed components that allowed the furnace exhaust to be recycled in the furnace. This fails to complete combustion and leads to high levels of carbon monoxide.

While the family was hospitalized the PG&E crew checked the home and fixed the problem.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, nausea, headaches, a rosy-red face and altered levels of consciousness.