Austin, TX- Three people are recovering from carbon monoxide exposure.

Emergency crews arrived at their Northeast Austin home Saturday morning after the three woke up with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rescuers say the gas levels inside the home were dangerously high.

Carbon monoxide kills hundreds of Americans every year and temporarily or permanently disables more than 10,000.

“Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. You can’t detect it – you can’t smell it, you can’t taste it, you can’t see it. The only way you can be aware of it is with a carbon monoxide detector,” AFD Chief Palmer Buck said.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea, vomiting, red skin and disorientation.