Merced, CA – A Merced family is grateful after a working carbon monoxide detector saved their lives.

The wind forced the flue in house’s chimney to shut — filling the house with carbon monoxide.

The alarm in the detector went off alerting the father — who is a firefighter — to the danger.

Steve Floriano said that the fireplace had been on for much of the day, and as they were going to bed, the alarm went off.

The Merced Fire Department responded. The Department offers smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.