Wichita, KS – KWCH, By Michael Schwanke

The extreme cold means more dangers in the home.Wednesday afternoon a Wichita family of seven got sick because of carbon monoxide. The only reason they knew there was a problem was because everyone in the family started saying they didn’t feel very well.

The fire department responded and quickly started ventilating the home. Of the seven family members, three were taken to the hospital.City officials say the amount of carbon monoxide in the home was about six times what is considered safe.

Officials say the family did not have a carbon monoxide detector, and traced the cause to a blocked furnace vent.