York, PA – On November 25, Richard Dykes III died while working on a truck in his garage in York. One month later, his family is sharing their story.

Latosha Walker is “Ricky’s” sister. She says her brother has worked on cars since he was a teenager. That day, he was working on a pickup truck. The truck wasn’t running, but a generator to power a paint sprayer was. Doctors told the 27 year old’s family he died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“I want people to know it’s important to be educated about it. What it is, what it can do. Because nobody expected my brother to die from carbon monoxide doing something he loved to do.”

Fire officials say you should have a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home.

The family has also held a vigil to let people know they should research the silent killer.