Lexington, KY – LEX18 – Eight members of a Lexington family were taken to the hospital early Wednesday morning after experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tony Higgins said he, his wife, and their six kids were asleep when their carbon monoxide detectors sounded alarms. As it turns out, the upstairs gas furnace of their Liberty Road home was leaking.

Higgins said he got his family out of the house, turned off the furnace and called the fire department. He said he installed the carbon monoxide detectors after experiencing problems with the gas furnace last week, and credits them with saving his family’s lives.

None of the eight members of the family suffered any serious injuries in the incident.