New London, MO – By Bev Darr, Courier-Post

Sarah Glascock and her son and daughter-in-law, Denis and Julia Glascock, of rural New London, all three were reported in critical condition Wednesday at the University Hospital and Clinics in Columbia, where they were admitted after suffering severe burns in an explosion on Sunday.

The explosion was at approximately 5 p.m. Sunday in the basement of Sarah’s home on Missouri 19, according to Donny Epperson, assistant fire chief of the New London Voluntary Fire Department. The Glascocks were flown in three helicopters to the hospital.

Epperson provided the following report of the explosion. The three victims had been in the basement attempting to light a hot water heater, and a propane gas leak caused an explosion.

They had gotten outside the basement and flagged down a motorist to call the fire department.

“They said they were afraid the house was going to cave in on them,” Epperson said. “All three were severely burned.”

The explosion caused a small fire in the basement, which the fire department extinguished manually, Epperson said. “We shut the gas and electricity off and made sure there weren’t any flames anywhere.”

The explosion “blew off air ducts and vents and ceiling tiles, blew some lamps over and broke some glass, and knocked a TV over,” he said. The cause of the gas leak was not determined.