Chillicoth, OH- An explosion and fire that rocked a Chillicothe home Friday did significant enough damage that the house might be totalled.

Chillicothe Fire Chief John Myers said the explosion and fire at 20731 N. Sequoia Curve did more than $250,000 in damage to the home of Michael W. McKanna.

McKanna, 52, was the only person home about 9:40 a.m. Friday when he heard an explosion in the basement that shook the entire house, he told authorities. McKanna was not injured.

Flames spread from the walk-up basement to the main area of the one-level home. Damage included a hole burned through the floor and extensive fire and smoke damage.

The explosion, which Myers believes was caused by propane used for the water heater and other parts of the house, blew out the bottom of walls in the basement. Myers said the propane likely was leaking, but he was unsure what sparked the explosion.

One fireman received stitches for a minor injury, Myers said.