Rochester, NY – Patrick FlaniganRochester Democrat and Chronicle – An explosion apparently caused by a natural gas leak today blew out a door and window of a Main Street vehicle repair shop whose owners are getting ready to open for business.

The explosion occurred about 10 a.m. at what owners hope will be the Marketview Heights Garage, 1030 E. Main Street, off Railroad Street in Rochester.

“It was like a bomb went off,” said Gary Surace, one of the owners of the garage. “It was like as many M-80s (firecrackers) as you can put together. It was unbelievable. I was in the office and it shook me.”

Rochester Fire Capt. Dan McBride said the explosion was ignited in a second-floor room that housed a boiler and two compressors. He said the owners, who had occupied the building only recently, had smelled gas on and off for about a week.

“They weren’t familiar with the building, so they didn’t know what was out of place,” he said. “They’re pretty happy to be out of there in one piece.”

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters were not able immediately to turn off gas supply lines in order to enter the building; they were attempting to ventilate the premises before entering.