Pittsburgh, PA – WTAE-TV – One house was destroyed in an explosion that also started a fire at a neighboring home.
The blast happened at about 3 p.m. Wednesday on Bertley Ridge Drive, near the intersection with Gilshire Drive.
Two teenagers who live in the house that exploded were taken to a Pittsburgh hospital. Neighbors identified them as Mark and Chelsea Rateua.
According to a preliminary investigation by Moon police, a Comcast subcontractor working outside 107 Bertley Ridge Drive either caused or discovered a gas leak.
Columbia Gas spokesman Rob Boulware said the subcontractor may have hit a 2-inch gas line while digging.
Columbia officials told Moon police that they were alerted to the leak at approximately 2 p.m., about an hour before the explosion.
Some neighbors on Bertley Ridge said they were not told about the leak. Police said they don’t know if the injured teens received any warning.
All residents of the Bertley Ridge housing plan have been evacuated to the Moon public safety building until gas company crews determine that it is safe for them to return.
The Allegheny County fire marshal is assisting police with their investigation.
“Comcast is working with county and local authorities, as well as other companies, to ascertain information about the incident that occurred this afternoon,” spokesman Brian Jeter said Wednesday evening.