Randolph, NY – Maria Sisti, Assignment Editor, WGRZ-TV, Buffalo
National Fuel and investigators from the Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Department will be back in Randolph Friday trying to find out what caused a house explosion Thursday morning.
The blast took place around 6 AM at Main and Wadsworth Streets leaving one resident with severe burns over 70% of his body.
Two people in the house woke to the smell of gas. One of them left the home to report it and shortly after the house exploded. The other person, 45-year-old John Pauley, was still inside when the explosion occurred. He remains at ECMC in critical condition.
A construction crew was doing some work in the area at the time, and investigators say the weight of a crane ruptured a natural gas line. It’s still not known, however, what ignited the blast itself. The home is a total loss.