Omaha, NE – An explosion Saturday burned an Omaha man who was taken to a hospital with critical injuries.

The man, 44, was inside a camper along the Platte River on private property south of Springfield shortly before noon.

He was cleaning the camper and lit a cigarette. Unfortunately, there was an apparent propane gas leak, said Sgt. Mike Bramhall of the Sarpy County Sheriff’s Office.

The man was burned on his arms and neck. He drove himself to a nearby home, where 911 was called.

Advertising

An ambulance took the man to Creighton University Medical Center with injuries that did not appear life-threatening.

“He was up, walking around,” Bramhall said. “He didn’t seem to be real bad.”

The camper sustained some burn and structural damage.

The identity of the man was not released.