Chicago, IL – By Courtney Greve, Daily Southtown – Five Chicago firefighters were injured, two seriously, when a suspected natural gas leak caused a Gage Park bungalow to explode, officials said.

At 10:56 p.m. Tuesday, firefighters arrived at 3546 W. 57th Place to investigate a report of a natural gas leak, Chicago Fire Department

spokesman Josh Dennis said.

Firefighters had entered or were near the 1½-story house when “there was an ignition, and the house exploded,” Dennis said.

Three firefighters were treated at Mount Sinai Hospital and later released, Dennis said.

Two others have been transferred to the burn unit at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood. They were in serious condition Wednesday night, Dennis said.

The brick house on 57th Place was demolished. Rubble and charred debris are all that remain, Dennis said.

No one had been living in the house at the time of the explosion. Earlier this week, however, the homeowner requested gas service be turned on,

Peoples gas spokeswoman Elizabeth Castro said.

An adjacent single-story home also caught fire when flaming materials landed on its roof, Dennis said.