Bryant, IN- BRYANT, Ind.
Explosions and a resulting fire destroyed a restaurant at an eastern Indiana resort Thursday, causing more than $1 million in estimated damages but no injuries.
No customers were inside the Homestead Restaurant at Bearcreek Farms at the time of the blasts shortly before 10 a.m., Carla Green, the resort’s general manager, told The Commercial Review of Portland.
Two explosions in the restaurant’s kitchen apparently were caused by a leak in a natural gas line, fire officials said.
The restaurant and resort had been open on a limited basis and were scheduled to fully open for the season March 6.
Two workers were repairing a steam table when two explosions and a resulting fire forced 12 people to leave the building, Green said.
“There were two large booms, and they said, ‘Clear the building,”‘ Green said.
No injuries to workers or to firefighters from several departments were reported. The building was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
The loss was expected to exceed $1 million. The building was fully insured, said Don Strong, owner of Bearcreek Farms.
“Were going to build the restaurant back up in the same place and exactly how it was,” he said.