New Paltz, NY – A propane explosion early Saturday caused significant damage to the gatehouse at the Mohonk Mountain House on Mountain Rest Road but caused no injuries.

According to Mohonk General Manager Jackie Appeldorn, a gas leak from a propane tank led to an explosion just after midnight that damaged the structure.

“There’s quite a bit of damage to the gatehouse, and we have closed it until the fire inspectors complete their investigation,” Appeldorn said Saturday evening. “Fortunately, there was only one employee working at the time and she was not injured.”

Appeldorn said she was not sure when inspectors would return or how long the building might be closed.

The gatehouse is located about 2 miles from the 267-room Mohonk Mountain House and is used by staff members to check in guests and day hikers to the property.

Appeldorn said the propane tank was attached to a generator and a water pump at the gatehouse. Guests staying in housekeeping cottages near the gatehouse lost water service for a short time after the incident, she said.

“The biggest inconvenience is that we have had to house our employees in a temporary shed and also placed a port-a-potty close by for them,” Appeldorn said. “We were also unable to accommodate day hikers today and sent them to Minnewaska (State Park) and Mohonk (Preserve) instead. We may have to do the same on Sunday, but we’ll make that decision in the morning.”

Appeldorn said the explosion did not affect the Mohonk Mountain House itself or its guests, and she said the resort was at full capacity for the Labor Day weekend.

The New Paltz Fire Department and New Paltz Police Department responded to the scene.