Donegal Township, PA – Fire officials said a malfunctioning propane furnace may have been responsible for an explosion and fire that extensively damaged a vacation trailer home Wednesday in Donegal Township.

Firefighters from Chestnut Ridge and Saltlick Township volunteer firefighters responded to the fire in Laurel Highland Campland along Circle Drive at 8:25 a.m.

Chestnut Ridge Fire Chief Don Prinkey said firefighters believe propane gas was released into a furnace area near a bathroom, “and when the furnace finally did kick on, it caused the explosion.”

Firefighters extinguished a “small fire” caused by the blast, he said.

The owners of the trailer live out of the area and were not in the residence, authorities said. No one was injured.