By Kevin Grasha, Lansing State Journal

A former Mason resident and two others died Christmas night inside a home in Red Wing, Minn. – the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said.

Michael Hopp, 43, of Santa Fe, N.M., was found dead at the home of his sister, Susan Hopp, 47. Both graduated from Mason High School.

Susan Hopp’s son, Nathan Schmidt, 15, and Michael Hopp’s friend, Jane Prouty, 57, of Boulder, Colo., also died.

Susan Hopp and her 18-year-old daughter, Nicole Schmidt, survived.

Red Wing Police Chief Tim Sletten said the coroner’s office determined the cause of death Tuesday as carbon monoxide poisoning. The deaths were ruled accidental.

Around 9:20 Christmas night, police received a call from Susan Hopp, who told them there were people in the house she could not wake up, Sletten said. Someone had apparently called her earlier, awakening her and her daughter, Sletten said.

When police and fire arrived, they found Susan Hopp and her daughter inside, disoriented. They were treated at a hospital and released.

The bodies of Michael Hopp and Prouty were found in the basement. The body of Nathan Schmidt was found in a main-level bedroom, Sletten said. Susan Hopp and her daughter were staying on the second floor.

He added that a carbon monoxide detector was found in the home, but it was not working.