A Euless man died Thursday of carbon monoxide poisoning after he fell asleep inside a car that had its engine running inside a garage, police said.

Mohammed Panjwani, 47, was found dead inside his car 10 hours after he arrived at his apartment from a late night card game, police said.

Investigators believe Panjwani kept the car running so that he could operate its air conditioner. Temperatures this week have reached the upper 90s.

Police have no reason to believe Panjwani’s death was anything other than accidental, said Lt. John Williams, a Euless police spokesman.

“There aren’t any family, personal or financial conditions that could cause him to be distraught,” Williams said. “This just appears to be an accident.”

Investigators believe Panjwani arrived home at about 3 a.m. Thursday but discovered he was locked out of his apartment, Williams said.

Instead of waking up his family, he decided he would wait until daylight hours when his wife left for work, Williams said.

The wife, who usually parks in an open-air parking space at the Parkside on the Creek apartment complex, left for work without knowing her husband had parked inside the garage.

“That was his day off and he was really active in the Muslim community and she thought he had gone out early with friends,” Williams said. “So she went on to work.”

The apartment complex is in the 700 block of Hill Trail Drive, just west of the D/FW Airport and near Texas 360 and East Mid Cities Boulevard.

Panjwani’s body was found in the driver’s seat shortly before 1 p.m. after apartment residents complained of smelling a strong gas odor.

Though Panjwani did not drink alcohol, police are awaiting a routine toxicology report, Williams said.