INpolis, IN – IndyStar – An employee of a Southside restaurant was burned Thursday in a fire that slowed traffic on East Street. The two-alarm fire broke out about 6:50 a.m. in Arby’s Roast Beef, at 3314 S. East St.

The injured employee, a 42-year-old man whose name was not available, had just arrived to help get the restaurant ready for opening. He was in stable condition at Methodist Hospital.

Witnesses said they heard an explosion and smelled natural gas. Restaurant employees told Citizens Gas & Coke Utility and fire officials that a cleaning crew had been in the building Wednesday night and had disconnected and reconnected the deep fryer and adjacent stove.