Wylie, TX – An elderly couple died Monday when an overnight explosion leveled their single-story home near Dallas.

The explosion took place at about 3 a.m. Monday on the 300 block of Third Street in the Collin County town of Wylie, about 25 miles northeast of Dallas.

Benny Cryer, 78, and his wife, Martha, 77, were inside the home when something sparked a natural gas leak, causing the explosion, officials said.

Martha Cryer was transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, where she later died. Benny Cryer died at the scene.

“I was awakened by what I thought was an earthquake,” said next-door neighbor Pamela Willey. “Then I realized it was an explosion.”

While Willey called 911, her husband took a water hose to try to keep the flames off the couple, who were both calling for help, Willey said.

Authorities said flammable oxygen was being used in the home, but investigators also found elevated levels of natural gas in a sewer line.

At least eight families who lived in nearby homes were staying elsewhere while investigators made sure all of the natural gas had dissipated.