Monogalia, WV – An elderly Monongalia County couple was found dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Eldon Brandon, 71, and his wife, Janice Brandon, 70, were found Monday evening in an unattached garage by Monongalia County Sheriff’s Deputies.

It’s believed that the couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a gasoline powered generator that was not properly ventilated.

West Virginia University Hospital Emergency Department Director Dr. Owen Lander says the Emergency Department has had two confirmed cases of carbon monoxide poisoning and one suspected case in the past two days. All three were able to be treated, but Dr. Lander warns people to be very careful with portable heaters that are powered by fuels like propane, gasoline and kerosene.

“Obviously in the winter time we are alwaystrying to get people to remember that carbon monoxide is silent, no odor and lethal and it’s produced by anything that burns fuel essentially, from a gas stove to a propane heater to an oil burning furnace to even a wood stove, even though that produces less,” said Dr. Lander.