Easton, MA- A duplex on Depot St. in Easton was destroyed early Wednesday morning, April 2 from an explosion inside the home.
Easton Deputy Police Chief Allen Krajcik said the home blew up at about 1:20 a.m. due to a propane gas leak into the duplex.
Krajcik said the upscale duplex was under construction and no one was injured in the blast.
The explosion destroyed the back and side of the right side of the home, leaving a large hole with insulation and wood crumbled inside. Windows on the front of the home were boarded up late Wednesday morning.
Krajcik said the cause of the explosion does not appear suspicious and there was a propane gas tank on the outside of the house with lines going inside for a gas fireplace and a gas stove in the kitchen.
He said the home had oil heat and said through a preliminary investigation, they believe when the heat turned on the explosion occurred.
That (the heat) may have ignited the gas, Krajcik said.
He said one caller about a half-mile away on Porter St. called 911 to report the explosion, but no other calls came in even though the duplex is next to another home.
The guy said it was a pretty loud explosion, Krajcik said.
Krajcik said Creative Homes, Inc. of North Easton was constructing the duplex and said he believed it would have to be completely rebuilt.
He said the Easton Fire Department, the state fire marshal and Easton Police Detective Michael Fox and Officer Charles Hopkins responded to the explosion.