Appleton, WI – By Steve Wideman, Post-Crescent

Physicians at AirVenture are asking the 30,000 campers on the grounds of Wittman Regional Airport to exercise caution after six campers suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in two separate incidents early Thursday.

Four of the campers were taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital in Appleton for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber while two other campers were not seriously injured when a carbon monoxide detector alarm sounded in their camper.

Volunteer AirVenture physician Dr. Bob Braun of Philadelphia, Pa., said campers should be aware of their surroundings when setting up camp.

An air conditioning unit in the camper of the four hospitalized was drawing in exhaust fumes from a generator attached to a nearby motorhome.

“Also tell your buddies if for some reason you don’t feel good,” Braun said. “One of the four people hospitalized had gotten up early in the morning and didn’t feel well. He went outside and felt better, but didn’t tell anyone.”