Houston, TX- KHOU-TV -Dozens of people were transported to area hospitals Thursday morning after carbon monoxide fumes were reported at a southwest Houston store.

Several ambulances were called to Family Dollar Store in the 5900 block of Renwick near Gulfton. There were so many patients, they had to call a Metro bus to transport the remaining people to area hospitals.

In all, 48 people were taken to Memorial Southwest, Memorial Hermann, Ben Taub and St. Luke’s hospitals.

They were complaining of dizziness and nausea. One small child appeared to be the most seriously affected. Witnesses say the little girl, believed to be 3 or 4 years old, was vomiting at the scene.

The Houston Fire Department sent a HAZMAT crew to the scene. They discovered a carbon monoxide leak in a storage room where the air conditioning and heating units are located.

They say the amount of carbon monoxide was at least eight times the level considered safe.