NY, NY – WABC – A carbon monoxide leak forced dozens of residents out into the street in Chinatown. Several people were treated for exposure to the potentially dead gas.

Eyewitness News has learned the residents were forced out of 20 Mulberry Street by the fumes just before 2:30 a.m.Firefighters took carbon monoxide readings of 600 parts per million inside the five-story apartment building.

Officials say eleven residents were treated for exposure to carbon monoxide, and some of them were rushed to nearby hospitals. In all, 29 people were evacuated from the apartment building and two others.

Crews spent hours trying to locate the source of the leak in the building. Con Edison crews are now working to fix the leak.