A man and a woman, both in their 20s, are recovering today from carbon monoxide poisoning after the recent chilly temperatures forced them to turn their furnace on for the first time this year.

Firefighters in Waterford were called to the home on Baycrest Drive early Sunday morning, said Lt. John Lyman. When they arrived, the man and woman had symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning like dizziness, vomiting and headaches.

When firefighters tested the air in the home, they found the level to be 350 parts per million. Anything over 100 parts per million is considered dangerous to humans and animals, Lyman said.

Both the man and the woman were treated with oxygen and taken to Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital for further aid.

Lyman said residents should have their furnaces and other gas appliances serviced regularly and install a carbon monoxide detector.