A Portage County couple is recovering after a fire nearly destroyed their home.

A call came in early yesterday morning to report two people caught in a basement, which was on fire.

The water heater at Phyllis and Bob Kostuchowski’s home caught on fire while the couple was doing laundry.

This caused a series of explosions that blew the home’s door off its hinges and burst a pair of water pipes, spilling hundreds of gallons of water.

Ironically, their daughter, Leann McKee, says that pipe burst may have saved Bob’s life.

“The firefighter said my dad could have lost his life had they not broke, so that was a blessing,” she said.”

The couple was taken to the hospital for second degree burns and smoke inhalation.

Their granddaughter and infant great granddaughter also live in the home.

Neither were hurt in the fire.