Chesterfield County, VA- An elderly Chesterfield County couple found dead Tuesday night in a home with high levels of carbon monoxide are believed to have died accidentally, police said Wednesday.

The bodies of Opal H. Foltz, 79, and her husband, Merlin D. Foltz, 80, were found upstairs after authorities responded to their home about 7:20 p.m. in the 13600 block of Paigewood Road to conduct a welfare check, police said.

Officers discovered a vehicle running in a garage attached to the couple’s house, and a strong odor of car exhaust was present when they forced their way inside, police said.

Chesterfield Fire & EMS units responded and found the victims during a search of the home. Fire personnel detected high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the residence, police said.

Police said their investigation has not turned up any evidence of foul play. The couple’s bodies have been taken to the state medical examiner’s office to determine cause of death.