Oxnard, CA – The Coast Guard rescued a man on a sailboat Friday night after he was overcome by carbon monoxide, authorities said Saturday.

The Coast Guard got a distress call from the man about 9:30 p.m. Friday. He told them he was sailing his 37-foot boat about 9 miles from Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard and believed he was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Coast Guard sent a 47-foot rescue boat with three paramedics from the Ventura County Fire Department, along with a rescue helicopter. Paramedics attended to the man, who was taken by helicopter to St. John’s Regional Medical Center in Oxnard.

The man’s name and medical condition were not released Saturday.

Coast Guard officials say carbon monoxide can be produced by boat engines, generators or cooking ranges and can build up in the holds or cabins of

boats. Carbon monoxide in exhaust also can blow back onto a vessel.

The Coast Guard recommends a marine carbon monoxide detector, proper ventilation, and regular inspections of the exhaust system, among other things.