Detroit, MI – By Brandon Truttling, WXYZ – It was a close call for a family on Detroit’s east side, when carbon monoxide nearly killed them. The story stands as a warning for anyone with gas appliances or fire places who do not yet have a carbon monoxide detector.

There were 6 people, including 3 children, who were overcome by the colorless and odorless gas Wednesday night. Officials say it is still unclear where the carbon monoxide was leaking from.

The good news in this situation is that everyone that had been overcome is going to be all right. The group spent the night at a local hospital for observation.

Officials say this situation could have been much worse. Hundreds die each year of carbon monoxide poisoning, and more than 10,000 people most seek medical attention after exposure.

This is why having carbon monoxide detectors installed in the home is so important. Experts say placing one near the bedroom is best, and it is also a good idea to have one on every level of the house.

Only 10 states have laws requiring carbon monoxide detectors, and Michigan is not one of them.

Officials say more carbon monoxide poisonings occur in the winter, because houses are closed up with the furnaces in use. But carbon monoxide is still a danger in the spring and summer months.

Carbon monoxide poisonings have been reported in children who have gotten too close to boat motors and Jet Ski fumes.