By WARREN WOODBERRY Jr. and LEO STANDORA DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS With Martin Mbugua
A Queens snack bar owner and an employee were found dead on a boat docked at the World’s Fair Marina in Queens, apparently killed by fumes from a generator used to run the air conditioner, police said.
The bodies of Peter Kiefer, 71, and Catherine Sealey, 42, were found aboard Kiefer’s pleasure craft, the Ultra Vee, shortly before 2 p.m., they said.
“Whatever happened looks like it happened fast,” one investigator said.
He said both victims were found fully clothed in “sitting positions” in a cabin below deck as though they were talking when carbon monoxide got them.
Police said autopsies would be performed to determine the exact cause and time of death.
Sealey’s mother, Theresa Pineda, said Sealey called her from Kiefer’s marina snack shack, Pete’s Backyard, where she was a waitress, at 10 p.m. Thursday to tell her she couldn’t get home because of the blackout and intended to sleep on
“I know Pete for more than five years. I’m sure he didn’t want my daughter to sleep outside so he probably told her to come onto the boat where there was air conditioning,” she said.
Police said the boat’s windows were sealed in an apparent attempt to keep the cold in the cabin. “It looks like I lost a daughter and a good friend to the blackout,” Pineda said.
Boat owners said Kiefer, a former Marine who served in the Korean War, had been a fixture at the marina for decades, running the snack bar and managing the docks around it.