Cleveland, OH – CLEVELAND – A Saturday scare at a downtown Cleveland hotel, as 20 people got sick, and 18 were taken to the hospital, because of a carbon monoxide leak.
It took fire fighters about 5 hours to clear the scene at the Wyndham Hotel, after pumping fresh air into the Euclid Avenue building.
Cleveland fire crews first got the call around 9:30am Saturday morning. When fire fighters arrived, hotel guests had evacuated their rooms and were mostly gathered in the lobby, many suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning. Those include vomiting and severe headaches.
According to Cleveland Fire Department spokesperson Larry Gray, no one was seriously injured and guests were allowed back in their rooms early Saturday afternoon. The victims ages ranged from nine months to 66 years old.
Dominion East Ohio says there was a problem with the building boilers. The boilers were turned off and hotel staff were instructed to repair the boilers before putting them back in service.