San Diego, CA- Two children were rushed to a local hospital Friday with carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty wall heater.

Officials with Sharp Memorial Hospital said the children, ages 6 and 12, were admitted to the emergency room Friday morning suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Saul Levine said they have since been transferred to another local hospital for treatment. Officials said they are expected to recover.

“My understanding is they’re much improved, but they are still in the ICU,” said Saul Levine, MD.

Levine said carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly and the symptoms vary.

“There’s anything from confusion, vomiting, difficulty walking, difficulty speaking,” he said. “Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with anything as simple as a cold or anything as major as a stroke or a heart attack.”

To protect your family, officials said it is critical your home has a working carbon monoxide detector. It’s also the law in California.

“With carbon monoxide being odorless, tasteless and not having any really distinct signs, the detector is key for knowing you have that dangerous gas in your home,” said Amber Albrecht, San Diego Gas and Electric spokesperson.

SDG&E officials said homeowners should also pay attention to the flames coming from their natural gas appliances.

“If that flame is yellow, be sure to call us immediately,” said Albrecht. “Because that’s a sign it could be emitting carbon monoxide.”

You should also never use a stove as a way to heat your home.

SDG&E offers free appliance safety checks. To schedule an appointment, call SDG&E at 800-411-7343 or online at

Officials also recommend changing the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms to ensure they work properly.