Greenwood Lake, NY- Mike Dawson, Times Herald Record – Firefighters were called to a Cedar Road home yesterday morning after three people passed out from high levels of carbon monoxide, a lethal gas that is odorless, colorless and tasteless.

The three were taken to St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick and were reportedly doing fine yesterday afternoon, Greenwood Lake firefighters said. The source of the gas was malfunctioning furnace.

Fire Chief John Rader said carbon monoxide levels in the house were more than 150 parts per million. Normal levels should be well below 50 parts per million.

The house was not equipped with a carbon monoxide detector, firefighters said.

“It’s the silent killer. A few more hours and they could have died,” Rader said. “A (carbon monoxide) detector is a small investment that goes a long way.”