Buena Vista Township, MI – Buena Vista Township police say a mother and her son died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Buena Vista Township home.

The bodies of 64-year-old Harvest Carter and his mother, 86-year-old Plumie Carter were found in this Buena Vista Township home on Ray Street Monday afternoon.

Investigators say autopsies show they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In1993, Carter and his mother held police at bay during a standoff on Wadsworth Street that lasted three days.

Carter shot and wounded three police officers during the siege.

He never went to prison after a Saginaw County Judge ruled he was insane.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas which can be found in combustion fumes coming household items such as stoves and heating systems.

Fire officials suggest every home should have a carbon monoxide detector — something they say is just as important as a fire alarm.