Shreveport, LA – An 83-year-old man was found dead in a duplex in Shreveport’s Allendale neighborhood Saturday afternoon, apparently the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said.

Emergency workers forced their way into the man’s residence in the 100 block of Hamilton Avenue after Mack French had his wife call 911 about 3 p.m. because he had found all the doors locked and no one answered when he knocked.

“I had come by to see him,” said French, who identified the man as his lifelong friend Louis Walker.

The 74-year-old said he had not spoken with Walker since Nov. 26. And neighbors of Walker told authorities they last saw him Tuesday, Shreveport Fire Department spokesman Brian Crawford said.

“This is a possible carbon monoxide poisoning,” Crawford said, adding that the cause of death would not be ruled official until an autopsy is performed by the Caddo coroner’s office.

Firefighters found four burners on the natural gas stove going full blast and a open flame gas space heater roaring in a closed bedroom where the man’s body was discovered, Crawford said. “It appears he was in there a considerable period of time.”

The television set was on and the man was dressed and lying on a bed, Crawford said. The temperature inside the house was near 90 degrees, he said.

Natural gas service to the house was shut off and the air was tested for carbon monoxide. It registered 400 parts per million on the carbon monoxide monitor, Crawford said. Anything over 50 parts per million can be lethal over a period of time, he said.

Last month, seven members of the Jackson family were brought to Willis-Knighton Medical Center on Greenwood Road with carbon monoxide poisoning after they awakened with severe headaches in their home in the 1400 block of Harvard Avenue in Allendale.

Francis McCabe, Shreveport Times – That home registered 288 parts per million on the carbon monoxide monitor. Authorities cited a faulty central heating unit as the cause of the Nov. 5 incident.

The family members were treated in the hospital’s hyperbaric facilities and were home by evening.