Hattiesburg, MS – By Jenny Hunsperger, The Hattiesburg American

Two Hattiesburg children overcome by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning last week died over the weekend at University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

Jada Sanders, 9, and Jakobe Holliman, 2, died Saturday after being taken off life support, Forrest County Coroner Butch Benedict said. A power generator running inside their Hattiesburg home is believed to have led to the deaths of the children and their mother, who died Thursday.

Their mother, Laketa Jones, 30, died Thursday when the power went out in the family’s Broad Street home and they moved a gasoline generator inside to stifle the noise.

The carbon monoxide from the generator built up and caused Jones to collapse, Benedict said.

Autopsies have not been completed, Benedict said.

Jones’ boyfriend, Marvin Holliman, 29, made a 911 call to paramedics, Benedict said.

Family and friends remembered Jones as a dedicated mother who was fiercely protective of her children and an excellent cook.

“I believe that God took her children because he knew that’s what Nickie would want,” Jones’ mother, Beverly Jones, 56, said Saturday. “She would want to take care of them herself.”

Officials warned carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because it is odorless and may not be noticed without a detector.

“You should have a carbon monoxide detector in your home if you’ve got any kind of gas appliances,” said Wesley Clark, a firefighter with the Hattiesburg Fire Department. “Keep the batteries changed and your appliances checked.”

Generators should never be used indoors because they emit carbon monoxide very quickly, he said.