Grandville, MI – Several Grandville Police Department employees were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide while at work early Tuesday morning.

An employee began feeling ill and went to the fire department to be checked out. During the evaluation firefighters discovered the employee and other police department workers had been exposed to carbon monoxide. The building was evacuated around 4:30 a.m. and the affected police department workers were transported to Spectrum Butterworth Hospital and later released.

The fire department conducted an investigation and found the probable source of carbon monoxide. The city’s heating provider was called to fix the problem.